Beginner Workshop Agenda
The beginner workshop will train users in SWAT 2012. The workshop is designed to be approximately 80% hands-on. We limit the class size to provide an opportunity for as much one-on-one interaction as possible. The list of topics below is a general guide for what is covered in the workshop. Please see specific details of the workshop you are attending for computer requirements and location information.
It is assumed that attendees have some knowledge of GIS: ArcGIS if attending the ArcSWAT workshop, or QGIS if attending the QSWAT workshop. Only very limited knowledge is required: loading vector and raster maps, panning, zooming, selecting features. We will not have time to review these basic concepts of GIS usage prior to covering the SWAT interface.
The following topics will be covered:
- Model overview (theory)
- Model applications (theory)
- Introduction to the SWAT interface (GIS)
- Watershed delineation
- Landuse and soil overlay
- HRU delineation
- Weather and remaining inputs to develop the SWAT model (including point sources) using the SWATEditor
- Review of summary outputs
- Using the SWAT Check program to identify possible problems
- Finishing the SWAT simulation and saving results
- Visualization and interpretation of SWAT outputs
- Addressing user requests and clarifying anything covered on the first two days
If using your own laptop, install QGIS and QSWAT prior to arriving at the workshop. Follow the instructions in the user manual from the QSWAT web page.
If you have your own laptop, install ArcGIS and ArcSWAT prior to arriving at the workshop. Download the software and instructions from the ArcSWAT web page. Please note that ArcSWAT is only available for certain versions of ArcGIS.